Senior Software Development Engineer at Stride Health
San Francisco, CA, US
We help people who work for themselves save time and money on things like insurance and taxes by providing simple, easy to use software, tools and services. The world’s largest work-for-yourself platforms like Uber, Etsy, Airbnb, Instacart, Postmates, Rover, TaskRabbit, Care.com, and others use Stride to help recruit, retain and motivate their communities of independent workers.
We're located in the heart of San Francisco's South Park district and we’re backed by leading investment firms including Venrock, New Enterprise Associates, and F-Prime Capital Partners.
Come help us take the work out of working for yourself!
About the Role
Stride Health seeks a Sr Software Engineer Contractor to help shape its bright, bright future! You're a seasoned technologist with nimble fingers and a love of resilient, well-architected systems. We're a high-energy, forward-thinking team that's empowering consumers to make decisions about their health coverage in a way unparalleled by anyone else. Data, beautiful UX, and a high-performance backend service layer compose the core of our product experience, and we need you to take a great thing and make it better.
You'll initially focus on maintaining our core API services, which include our search recommendation algorithm and transaction engine. You'll also help manage our build and code-review process and lead integrations with key external partners. You will also play a key role in moving data from Scala to NodeJS. An emphasis on reliable high-performance computing and distributed data architecture are absolute must-haves for this job. A passion for public health is icing on the cake!
- Develop and maintain core API services, and oversee ongoing integration with our front-end clients, data layers, and third party systems
- Develop methods and code to facilitate purchase transactions, including key user management methods and transaction processing
- Develop services to integrate with third party systems, including partner payment, identity verification, fraud-detection, and communication systems (email, sms)
- Own the scala codebase and help us migrate the backend systems to NodeJS
- Write test and benchmarking code
- Work with a collaborative and agile engineering team to define technical requirements and development roadmaps
Basic Qualifications/ Must-Haves
- BS in Computer Science or Engineering
- 5+ years working in an Engineering team for a software product company
- In-depth experience developing REST API web services with Scala and a core related JVM http-layer and RPC technologies (Spray/Akka, Play, Scalatra, Finagle, or other)
- Deep experience with both relational database systems (Postgres) and NoSQL systems (CouchDB, Riak, Dynamo, Redis), including experience with replication and clustering
- Experience developing secure software to facilitate transactions and payment processing
- Deep experience working within a Linux operating and development environment
Desired Characteristics/ Nice-to-Haves
- Experience developing core services for high-volume SaaS or PaaS consumer technologies
- Expertise in developing shopping-cart and related transactional technologies for consumer e-commerce sites
- Experience with NodeJS a big plus!
At Stride we work hard, sweat the details, and enjoy life away from computer, too. We are a diverse group that celebrates and supports our differences. Our benefits include a competitive salary and equity package, health, dental, and vision plans, a kitchen stocked with healthy (and unhealthy) snacks, a stipend for wellness programs, commuter benefits, flexible vacation time, parental leave, a culture of learning and development, a dog-friendly office environment, and more!