Life360 is a platform for today’s busy families, bringing them closer together by helping them better sync, communicate with and protect the people they care about most.
Our mobile app provides millions of families in over 140 countries with services such as private location sharing, location history, drive details, crash detection, roadside assistance and help alerts through our free and paid membership subscription.
Founded in 2008, Life360 is based in San Francisco with offices in San Diego, Las Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale.
Life360 has raised +$100M from investors such as Bessemer Venture Partners, DCM, Fontinalis Partners, BMW iVentures, Allstate, Bullpen Capital, Founders Fund (FF Angel), Launch Capital, Kapor Capital, and 500 startups.
For more information, visit us at life360.com
About the job
- At a pivotal shift in the role of infrastructure engineering at Life360 you will both be responsible for the company’s production systems as well as for building/bringing the tools which will enable product engineering teams to own their own production services.
- Existing production responsibilities include: bringing up new services, taking down old services, capacity planning for growth, and a 1 week on 3 off on-call rotation.
- Supporting dozens of services on hundreds of EC2 instances across multiple stacks. Technologies include EC2, RDS, MySQL, PHP, Java, Akka, Go, Python, Cassandra, HAProxy, Consul, Chef, Terraform.
- Build or bring in OSS/3rd party tools to enable engineering teams to provision, deploy, monitor, support and remediate their services in develop and production.
- Responsible for architecting and building out and migrating to our next generation immutable kubernetes infrastructure.
- One last thing, do all this while wearing 5+ billion requests per day like it's a breeze, traffic doesn't make you nervous.
- Minimum 5 years of experience supporting and scaling production systems
- Ability to grok complex multi tier production systems at scale. Hell, you even love and thrive in this level of complexity
- You write software - Go, Python, PHP, Java, etc. You know what unit tests are and you like them. You know what encapsulation is and you strive for it.
- Additional Strong Unix command-line fluency. You consider at least one of the following to be a good friend or yours: awk, grep, strace, netstat, /proc
- Experience with multiple major config-management tools, and an opinion about their strengths and weaknesses. (We use Chef. Prior experience with related tools is cool, too.)
- Experience with multiple monitoring and metrics collection platform. (We use Prometheus and Grafana. Prior experience with Graphite, StatsD, CollectD, Sensu, Nagios, Icinga are great.)
- Experience with AWS services including EC2, S3, and ELB, RDS and how they work together (GCM or Azure equivalents are just fine)
- Ability to jump into unfamiliar systems as root and diagnose host behavior without doing harm.
- Ability to follow well-known patterns with consistent naming schemes that anyone can follow.
- Communications-first mindset; everyone on #channel knows what you're doing, while/why you're doing it, and when you're done (especially during a production incident).
- Deep experience supporting at least one of the following subject matter areas databases (MySQL, Cassandra), caching (Redis, Memcache), HTTP services (tomcat, nginx, apache), compute services (Java, Go, Python, Erlang, Akka, PHP), queueing/streaming (NSQ, RabbitMQ, Kinesis, Kafka), Service Mesh/Discovery(consul), Build Systems (bamboo, Circle CI, Travis CI, Jenkins)
- Have caused, and fixed, at least one major production incident, and have the scars to tell about it.
Some things we'd love to see as well:
- Experience with actor systems
- Experience with columnar databases such as Cassandra
- Knowledge of JVM tuning
- Continuous Integration experience with tools such as Atlassian Bamboo, Travis CI, Circle CI, TeamCity, Jenkins.
- Experience in or migrating to environments where engineering owns production
- Experience building or maintaining multi-datacenter could applications
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Free snacks, drinks (three ways to brew your favorite cup of coffee), and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- Your own computer built the way you like it
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans
- 401k plan
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- A great office with plenty of light in the heart of the SOMA district in beautiful San Francisco (and we are pet friendly - bring the pooch on in!)
- Whatever makes you stronger makes us stronger. We buy you the things you need to improve yourself and get your job done