Materials Application Engineer at Origin
San Francisco, CA, US
Origin is looking for a talented and ambitious Materials Application Engineer to join our team. The Materials Team at Origin covers a wide range of responsibilities, as we work with partners and customers across a wide range of industries and disciplines. Materials are critical to Origin’s additive production ecosystem. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in materials, chemistry, and the mechanical properties of plastics. This position requires patience, a strong professional compass, passion, and the desire to listen to our customers, while educating them about new materials and capabilities. Join a small, but growing team made up of talent from places like Google, Apple, Tesla, and Autodesk.
- Work with customers closely to understand and define material specifications for a broad spectrum of industries and help identify materials in Origin’s open network suitable for end applications per customer requirements.
- Help educate customers on the benefits of additive manufacturing vs. injection molding and other technologies.
- Help manage projects with customers such that progress in material development is tracked with the timeline of production applications with customers.
- Work closely with the Sales and Marketing team identifying materials in Origin’s portfolio for potential customers.
- Work cross functionally within the company supporting the Materials team, Customer team, Marketing Team, and Laboratory Team ensuring teammates are aware of current status, next steps, and upcoming decision points.
- Communicate effectively to all customers and stakeholders involved.
- Work closely with Origin’s laboratory team on validating new resins for Origin’s platform.
- Be comfortable with 3D printing occasionally to holistically understand Origin’s product and print process.
- You will report to Origin’s Director of Materials.
What we’re looking for in candidates:
- Motivated, passionate, creative problem solver who can work collaboratively with excellent communication skills.
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills – you’ll be directly involved with customers, helping to manage important relationships for Origin’s platform.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership over tasks that need to get done.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, multi-task and manage priorities, and consistently meet deadlines.
- A strong work ethic, attention to detail, and an eagerness to help.
- MS or PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or other related programs. Exceptional candidates with a B.S. in these disciplines and 3+ years of industry experience will be considered.
Nice to have:
- Experience in Additive Manufacturing
- Client/Customer management experience
- Project management experience a plus