Life360 brings families closer with smart tools designed to protect and connect the people who matter most.
Known for first-to-market solutions for modern family challenges, Life360 recently reached #1 in Apple’s US App Store’s list of free social networking apps. Nearly 1 in 10 US families with kids use Life360 an average of 12 times a day, and global membership is growing exponentially, with over 25 million monthly active users in over 140 countries — making Life360 the largest mobile service for families in the world.
This reach gives us the opportunity to do unprecedented good for families through our valued core offerings: advanced location sharing, private messaging, driver monitoring, help alerts, 24/7 roadside assistance, and Crash Detection with emergency response. On average we respond to 1,000 roadside assists and dispatch 200+ ambulances each month to those in need.
Offering both free and paid memberships. In addition, the company has raised over $200 million in equity financing, and recently completed an IPO on the ASX exchange — giving our employees the liquidity of a public company with the upside of a private growth stage business.
Life360’s rapidly growing team of 150+ employees is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Diego, and Las Vegas.
- As a Backend Engineer on the Cloud team you will help build new scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- You are comfortable maneuvering legacy code bases and enjoy turning them into new state of the art technology, as we are breaking down a PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices on AWS.
- Our cloud team ensures that our API's are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- You use automation tools as often as possible, and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
Staff Engineer Responsibilities
As a member of our Staff engineering group, you
- are a functional specialist that makes impact through either your technical depth or your ability to lead a group of engineers
- are the go-to expert for your function
- have the ability to create and execute quarterly technical goals, lead and vanguard our most complicated features, and mentor and advance the skills of lower-level engineers.
Specific requirements for this position
You're that someone with these relevant skills:
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Proficient in JVM languages. This team uses primarily Java (Spring Boot) and Scala (Akka, Lagom); deep knowledge of either is required, of both is great
- Familiarity with PHP, Python, or Go since some of our systems are built using these.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- 4+ year experience with microservices
- Experience with the AWS environment and its various tools
- Fridays are Work From Home days at Life360
- Competitive pay with generous equity
- $200/month Quality of Life perk
- Free snacks, drinks, and food in the office
- Catered lunches throughout the week
- The computer of your choice
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k and various other benefits
- A great dog-friendly office with plenty of light in the heart of the SoMa San Francisco, or by the sea in San Diego